If your house is anything like mine, the kids are really starting to get excited and there is an elevated sense of “insanity”.
The last thing my kids feel like doing right now is school work and they each let out big “yippees” when they come home from school without any homework. (of course, next year, mine will be home-schooled, but that’s another post…)
Anyway, as school comes to an end, after the initial euphoria, we parents sometimes go into a panic.
What the heck can we do with our kids for 3 months that doesn’t involve video games and TV shows????
Well, start by….
TURNING THE TV OFF FOR THE SUMMER!
Last year, that is exactly what we did and we have every intention of doing the same again this year. I still allowed us to have Family Movie Night on rainy days and Fridays, but other than that, the TV was off 24/7 and It.Was.Great.
At first, the kids complained, but within the first week, they quickly realized we were having way more fun together as a family and they enjoyed themselves.
So, what are some of the things we did???
Of course, we spent many days swimming in the pool, but we also did some pretty cool things together as a family….
1. Vacation Bible School
2. Picnics together, both inside the house, on rainy days, and outside
3. Hanging out by the fire pit, singing songs and roasting marshmallows
4. Night of beauty for the girls while the boys went out with their dad
5. Fishing & crabbing
6. Exploring local parks (esp. in PA)
7. Ice cream Sundae Party
8. Playing Whose Line Is It Anyway (where the kids act out things that Russ & I assign to them. This is a favorite of the kids. You might want to watch the show to see some ideas. It’s an awesome creative outlet!)
10. Lots and lots of BBQs with friends and family, where we play outdoor games, have fireworks, & of course enjoy yummy food and great conversation.
And, these are just 10 ideas. There are so many great things that you can do to really enjoy the company of your kids and really build fantastic memories for each of you.
Just remember to have fun and live each summer day to the fullest!