he sure is lucky he’s so darn cute.

by debi9kids on January 3, 2012

See this kid?
Notice how cute he is in “his” pink pajamas?
Notice how said pink pajamas are on backwards????
Notice the white tape around his wrists and his belly???

I am telling you…
he is lucky he’s cute.
Really lucky.

You might be wondering why my sweet little boy is wearing his sister’s cute pink pajamas backwards with tape…

This sweet, innocent little boy likes to get naked,
every.night,
MULTIPLE times a night, as a matter of fact.

And he’s not potty trained.
Not even a little bit.

And pretty much,
every night,
it never fails,
he manages to get his pajamas off,
gets his diaper off…
and then
he poops
and.plays.in.it.

He has no clue what he’s doing,
No clue that he’s being “bad”,
Just that he likes to be naked.

And don’t let the outfit fool you.
It won’t stop him.
It just slows him down a little.
He will likely peel the tape off, slip his arms up through the neck-hole of the pajamas, slip them off, take the diaper off and then pee all over his crib and the pajamas.
again.

God help me.

(or, seriously, anyone with suggestions, PLEASE help. I’ve tried onsies, leotards, duct tape, clothes on backwards… is there something I’m missing??? Because, dear God, my back hurts SO bad from hefting his 40lb butt out of his crib multiples times a night to give him a bath, change his pajamas & change his sheets….)

Joining in with 7 Clown Circus , Lolli and Parenting by Dummies for Wordful Wednesday.

*edited to add:
the pajamas he is wearing backwards in this photo are zip-up, one-piece, & footless and he can still get out. ack!

Lydia January 3, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Have you tried the one piece footie PJs? If he can unzip, then get without feet and try wearing those backwards…I can in box you things that have worked as far as potty training with kids I have worked with in home settings. He is a cutie pie!

debi9kids January 3, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Hi Lydia. He's actually wearing a pair of one-piece zip-up pjs backwards in this photo.

Heather January 3, 2012 at 5:05 pm

I have heard the footie pj's on backwards works really well.

Praying something works for you …..cause I just can't imagine..

..hugs and love

debi9kids January 3, 2012 at 5:11 pm

sadly, we have tried those (and the pjs in the pic are those without feet)
It stinks (sometimes quite literally) ugh

Heather January 4, 2012 at 4:25 am

Oh bummer = Well he sure is a cutie for sure =] Hope the stage is short…..wonder if a social story would help? My Andrew responded well to them and actually at times we still use them. You're a good Momma …… something will click or he'll stop is my prayer. <3

Love Love Love the new header!!! =]

debi9kids January 4, 2012 at 7:56 am

thanks about the header. I wasn't sure if it was too much red or not. (I was feeling festive for Valentine's Day 🙂

Helene January 3, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Oh no!! Yes, it's definitely a good thing he's adorable, isn't it??

I can't think of anything else besides what Lydia above suggested.

debi9kids January 4, 2012 at 7:56 am

true that! It's a good thing 😉

Gayletrini January 3, 2012 at 5:11 pm

honestly I probably would have let him sleep in his diapers alone. though that still leaves you with the taking off the diaper dilemma. hmmm it may mean you trying to catch him before he does his stuff :s

sorry

debi9kids January 3, 2012 at 5:13 pm

yep. currently, he is in bed, naked, and I'm hoping he'll fall asleep and I can re-diaper him without waking him.

Gayletrini January 3, 2012 at 5:11 pm

oh and he is really cute

Sarah January 3, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Oh my! Good luck. So crazy that he undresses himself.

Michelle @ One Craft January 3, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Oh how I wish I had some words of wisdom for you but I've got nothing. I just hope for your sake that he moves out of this phase sooner rather than later.

Hugs!

Alicia January 3, 2012 at 6:30 pm

LOL..it sounds like you covered it all!!! But…I guess if he wants "out," he'll make a way!

debi9kids January 3, 2012 at 6:38 pm

sadly, yes. he does. ugh.

angie January 3, 2012 at 6:45 pm

My twins had a problem with taking their diapers off, but duct tape wrapped ALL the way around the diaper (not just the front) did the trick. Have you tried those old time cloth diaper pins to pin his PJ's together?

debi9kids January 3, 2012 at 6:49 pm

I havent, but only because he's so darn "wiggly" when I change him.
I will have to try to duct tape a little more and see if that can stop him (or slow him down a little)
Right now, he's sleeping. nude.
crazy.

Sunday Stilwell January 4, 2012 at 1:43 am

I feel your pain Debi…Noah has gone through a number of naked stages and thankfully right now he is happy wearing only a diaper (which THANK GOD he no longer takes off…but that was not always the case!!). When he walks in the door the first thing he does is take all his clothes off and run through the house. If I put clothes on him to wear around the house he screams, kicks, and fights it so I just gave up and let him stay naked. But finally after months and months of re-diapering him he seems to have caught on and will keep at least that item on.

It is so difficult with our non-verbal kids to figure out what they are doing because of sensory issues and what they are doing just because they want it that way. For me the only thing that seems to work is trial and error and time.

I wish I had some other ideas for you, my friend. I do know they sell special adaptive clothing that is especially for fecal smearers but they are wicked expensive (over $100 a set!!) and so I never considered those an option.

debi9kids January 4, 2012 at 7:55 am

holy cow! $100 each. YIKES. (wasn't it you who posted that article about parents getting their kids diagnosed so they could "collect the big bucks" ? Yep, cos I want to spend $100 on an outfit to keep my 5 yr old from playing with his poop…)

Will has just gotten into the need to be undressed. The minute he walks in the door from school, shoes & socks are off and shortly after, his shirt and pants, which of course leads to removing his diaper or pull-up. ugh

Is Noah potty trained? If not, how do you keep him from peeing everywhere???

Liz @ A Nut in a Nut January 4, 2012 at 5:55 am

Well after I read your edit, I don't even know what advice to give. All I can say is that I sure hope the stage is short-lived. I'm so sorry!

debi9kids January 4, 2012 at 7:47 am

you and me both! sheesh.

Amy Gleason January 4, 2012 at 6:04 am

Hi Debi,

I've read your blog for a long time. I have a 7 year old daughter who is "on the spectrum". Thankfully she functions pretty close to normal, but I can kind of relate to some of your frustration. Here is a link to another mom's website: http://coxquads.blogspot.com/2011/12/double-naked…. She has quadruplets, but she finally found these "Little Keeper Sleepers". Here's a link to their website too. http://littlekeepersleeper.com/store/Default.asp. I hope they will work for Will, and please know we are praying for you and your family.

Amy

debi9kids January 4, 2012 at 7:47 am

thanks so much Amy.

Funny you mentioned the Little Keepers Sleepers as I just ordered 2! A friend of mine pointed me to their site this morning after reading my post and I'm super hopeful they will work.

ps thank you so much for your prayers and support. It truly does help to know I'm "not alone".

Andrea January 4, 2012 at 8:04 am

Holy cow! you are my new hero! And I have got nothing in the way of advice. A straight jacket maybe? One of my twins went through this. And periodically still does it. It is hellish that is for sure!

debi9kids January 4, 2012 at 8:30 am

I think if any of my other kids or foster children had done this before I wouldn't be so… at a loss. Amazingly, all this time and all these kids later, Will is my first (and last) and holy cow… it's rough.
Good to know I'm not alone. (misery loves company, right? 😉 )

Amy Spencer January 4, 2012 at 8:05 am

Just wanted to throw in that you are DEFINITELY not alone. Our little guy used to do this very thing. Every day. For a year. 🙁 At some point in that year we found out that he had Giardia (sp?) and gave it to our daughter too. Ugh.

We would do- A)Diaper B)Duct tape C)A plastic diaper cover (the huge ones that gerber makes, not even sure what they're really for) because his poop was so watery and then finally D) TIGHT backwards zip-up pajamas. He could wiggle out if they were too loose. I had to cut the elastic out of the hands and feet so it wasn't too tight on his hands and wrists, but the body had to be PRETTY snug.

Also we got a video baby monitor and I learned to sleep with one eye open. 🙂

HANG IN THERE! This too shall pass!!

debi9kids January 4, 2012 at 8:25 am

thanks. I's helpful knowing I'm not alone. I feel crazy most days as I run back and forth to his room, finding him nude every time. ack!

I just ordered 2 pairs of pajamas from Little Keepers Sleepers (a friend suggested them this morning) and boy, I'm really, really hopeful.
Maybe I'll go to Walmart tonite and buy a pair of size 24 month PJs tonite and try your suggestion. (I need something to tide us over until the delivery) Thanks.

bcIMthemommy January 4, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Debi,

I'm SO sorry you are having such a hard time. Potty training a kid on the spectrum was one of the hardest things I've ever done. I don't know that I have any answers but I'm offerring my assistance to you anytime. You have my email; use it. I would love to chat with you or even talk over the phone. I don't claim to have any answers but I can listen and offer support.

Prayers heading up!

Becca (The Mommy)

Cindy January 5, 2012 at 5:04 am

oh Debi, I really hope that you got some suggestions because I am pretty sure that you listred every one that I would have suggested 🙁

Karen January 5, 2012 at 5:16 am

Oh, well … CUTE counts for a lot, right?!

I'm really sorry – I wish I had a magic cure for you and Will to allow you both a full night's (clean) sleep!

I haven't dealt with this issue – my spectrum kid was opposed to bowel movements. Sounds like you've tried just about everything – I have heard great things from others about the little sleeper keeper, praying it works for you. I don't know what you've done/are doing as far as interventions go, so this may be completely irrelevant advice, but you might have some success with occupational therapy, specifically for skin, such as brushing or deep pressure massages. Over time, brushing might help de-sensitize his skin so he can tolerate clothing.

The only other thing I can see is … mittens?

*hugs*

Karen

Julia January 5, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Mittens might actually work well. If you duct tape those on and then he can't use his fingers to unzip or unsnap or pull off duct tape.

Kath January 5, 2012 at 2:36 pm

As my heart goes out to you and Will I am feeling very blessed. With six children I never had any naked issues. So therefore I have nothing to share but a hug!!

I too hope this stage is VERY short lived.

debi9kids January 5, 2012 at 2:39 pm

this is the first time I have ever had this issue as well (foster and my own kids included). I am dumb-founded.
He got the darn DUCT-TAPED diaper off a few minutes ago!

sheila January 5, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Have you tried a onesie with the footie pjs over it? That's what worked for us. I also have heard of moms putting diapers on backwards with duct tape over the tabs. Hope you get something figured out because that is just an icky mess to wake up to every morning.

Krystyn January 20, 2012 at 8:40 am

I see most people already said it, zippered and backwards, but then again, my daughter could get out of anything. Fortunately, she wouldn't poop at night!

Hope you find a solution!