Simply Simple Bread Machine Chocolate Cake

by debi9kids on January 19, 2012

I have found that an absolute essential in my home is my bread machine.I use it for everything, from breads to doughs to cakes, especially since we started making everything from scratch.
Now, I don’t mind breaking out my Kitchen Aid mixer to whip up a cake, but there are just some days when I want to just have an easy dessert and I have found a fabulously easy cake to make in my bread machine.
It’s the recipe that came with my bread machine YEARS & YEARS ago. I had made the recipe many moons ago and using tons of different variations and I am going to share with you one of our favorites….
Simply Simple Chocolate Cake
* The key is to add the ingredients in the exact order that I list them.1 1/4 c. milk (2% or whole)
1 stick of butter, melted
2 large eggsAdd all of these ingredients into the bread pan, making sure that the melted butter, if hot, does not touch the raw eggs as it could scramble them.1 tsp. vanilla
1 TBS baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 c. cocoa powder
(the cocoa powder is an additional ingredient that I have added. At this time, you could also add a 2 TBS of raisins and omit the cocoa, or an additional 2 TBS chocolate chips. I have made it with blueberries, dried cranberries, changed up the vanilla for banana extract and put bits of banana…the possibilities are ENDLESS)1 c. white sugar
2 c. all purpose flourPlace the pan into the bread machine & set it on Batter Bread.
Press start & close the lid.The machine does all the work for you. It mixes the batter and then bakes it too.

In 1 hour and 40 minutes you will be smelling yummy cake…..Remove the pan from the machine and place on a cooling rack for apx. 10 minutes.
Then, turn upside down and the cake should “pop” right out.Allow the cake to cool completely, or serve warm.
The kids like it served with a dollop of fresh whipped cream or powdered sugar.

*(it can be cooked in a greased loaf pan in the oven too, on 350 for 20 minutes. Then , if it isn’t cooked through, just add additional 5 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean)
Pin It

Cindy January 19, 2012 at 1:38 pm

hope today is a better day for you. I delleted my personal facebook page. I only have the one linked to my blog up still

Dawn Wright January 19, 2012 at 4:58 pm

WOW! Didn't even know you could do that!!! :) AWESOME!!!!

Hey, did you know we are matched? SOOO EXCITED!!!!! God is Blessing us with #9!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Mama D.s Dozen January 21, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I'm so surprised that you use a bread machine, because the loaves are so small. Don't you need 2 or 3 loaves (or chocolate cakes) to serve your large family?

Hoping your weekend is BLESSED!

Laurel :)

debi9kids January 21, 2012 at 4:44 pm

yep. I always have to make at least 2 loaves…so i start early in the morning.
(with the cake, I can get away with one, as long as I make a 2 lb cake and cut it down the middle before I slice it ;)

neal forby August 18, 2012 at 11:04 pm

It says: "The key is to add the ingredients in the exact order that I list them." It lists butter 2nd, eggs 3rd. Yet the picture shows adding butter after the eggs and there is some talk written about this. Confused.

debi9kids August 19, 2012 at 7:52 am

Sorry for the confusion. You can add the butter first, eggs second. (Just make sure the butter isn't hot or you'll scramble the eggs.)

neal forby August 31, 2012 at 1:19 am

In the past I tried several different recipes without great results and now tried this one and it turned out fantastic. This recipe is a keeper. Thank you so much.

debi9kids August 31, 2012 at 2:25 am

So glad you enjoyed it.
It's a favorite "staple" recipe for me when I want a dessert :)

Vanessa January 7, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Thanks so much for posting this. I only recently got my bread machine and am ready to try something other than bread. Will let you know how it comes out.

debi9kids January 7, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Hope you enjoy it. It's one of our favorites.

alice January 8, 2013 at 4:24 am

Hi,

Thanks for putting up this recipe. I'm looking forward to trying it. Can you tell me if your machine gets really hot like it's actually baking, while it's still only at the mixing stage. It seems quite weird to me. It's a new machine and I'm wondering if it's misfunctioning.

debi9kids January 8, 2013 at 5:38 am

Hi Alice.
You know, I have honestly never noticed.
It's "noisy" in the mixing stage, so I tend to just put it on and walk away.
But I would imagine the motor could warm up a bit.

I hope it works out and it isn't a problem with your machine.

Sarah January 9, 2013 at 9:36 am

Mine does not get hot at all while mixing. It gets slighlty warm while bread is rising, and then around the vents and the glass at the top get very hot while baking. Mine is also new.

Katie January 17, 2013 at 6:00 pm

My bread machine does not have a batter bread function. Is there any alternative setting I could use?

Katie January 17, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Nevermind–I just found this comment in an Amazon review section for my machine: "The instruction book that comes with the manual does not explain this, but the Quick cycle (sometimes called the Cake cycle) is not to make bread bake quicker. It is for breads without yeast…quick breads like banana bread. There is only one mix (knead) and no rising time in this cycle."

This explains why the one time I tried the quick cycle my bread did not turn out at all! The manual says "Use this setting for baking bread quickly." Well. I guess not! I will be trying this recipe tomorrow!

debi9kids January 17, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Haha! I guess not.
Enjoy.
Hope you like the recipe. It's a favorite.

Katie January 18, 2013 at 8:12 am

Ok, I had some problems today–I'm sure it's due to my machine, not your recipe. But maybe you can help me out. I used the "Quick" setting on my Oster Bread maker. Here it is: http://www.amazon.com/Oster-CKSTBRTW20-2-Pound-Ex

Now, I've only been doing homemade bread for a few weeks so I'm not very experienced with my machine yet. I looked in the manual for the stages of the Quick setting so you could compare it to yours, but my manual has the stages listed for every setting except Quick! (By stages I mean that they break down the length of time for mixing, rising, etc…) The total time for my Quick setting is almost identical to yours: 1 hour and 43 minutes.

My problem was this: When I cut into the cake there were several chunks of unmixed flour and cocoa throughout the cake. So it wasn't mixed enough. Do you have any suggestions? My little boy suggested mixing it by hand, but I told him that defeated the purpose of using the machine! If I have to mix it by hand I might as well do the whole thing without the machine.

The only compromise I can think of is to maybe open it at the end of the first mix and scrape down the sides or something. Can you think of anything else? Thanks!

Rebecca April 24, 2013 at 11:42 am

I made this cake today and although it has a very good taste, it didnt rise much at all. Is there a tick to it? I know when i make bread i have o make a hole in the flour to put the yeast in or it doesn rise.

debi9kids April 24, 2013 at 1:52 pm

It actually doesn't rise much. It's a very dense cake.
It's definitely not what I would consider to be a nice light and fluffy cake ;)
You do want to follow the instructions for the order of the ingredients (typically all wet first, dry last) and maybe that would help (or scrambling the eggs before adding them as well)

matay11 July 10, 2013 at 1:51 am

Thank you for the chocolate cake recipe, it is great. I used the dough menu to mix the cake and just turned it off when I though it looked right, then the bake menu which cooked for 1 hour it was perfect. I have a Aldi Lumina Breadmaker; I did not have a problem with the cake rising I have a long narrow pan.

Margaret

debi9kids July 10, 2013 at 5:29 am

Glad to hear it turned out so well for you Margaret.
Enjoy!