sometimes he grosses me out SO much

by debi9kids on January 22, 2012

Will has some of the strangest eating habits. I know a huge portion of it is because he’s autistic and he has some major sensory issues with foods and honestly, for some reason or other kids on the spectrum just seem to be really, really particular.

Anyway, Will has a very limited, but odd palate and tonight, after dinner, we discovered yet another super odd food that Will really loves and HOLY COW, it grossed.me.out
Will LOVES bone marrow!
and it took everything in me not to throw up as I watched him excitedly stick his finger in the center of the bone, pull out the marrow, and lick it from his fingers like it was the best, gourmet chocolate he had ever eaten.Blech!

Don’t get me wrong. I’m always happy to have Will try a new food and I will likely allow him to eat this again if he so desires. I will just make sure I’m holding a barf bag for myself the next time 😉

Playing along with Twinfatuation for Makes My Monday.

Lisa January 22, 2012 at 5:18 pm

ughh..but he looks so happily content

xx

will you are the sweetest

debi9kids January 22, 2012 at 5:22 pm

he was quite happy 😉

lesa January 22, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Honestly, my daughter does the same thing. She also loves the gristle and fat too!

debi9kids January 22, 2012 at 5:22 pm

a bunch of my kids like the gristle as well but OMG, the gooey marrow was just so disgusting.

Gramma2Many January 22, 2012 at 10:26 pm

I have been away for a while. Have been dealing with some issues myself. Just read back on some of your posts. Am hoping things look up for you in 2012.

You know, the marrow is good for him. May be gross, but it is so full of nutrients. My father sucked every bone clean. Like you, I could never do it myself. But don't discourage him:)

marion January 22, 2012 at 11:29 pm

he is sooooooooo sweet 😉

Mimi January 23, 2012 at 10:37 am

That makes my stomach SO queasy! Don't know how you suffered through taking those photos! LOL

Christina January 23, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Ewwww! You're such a good mom to let him do it anyway despite your feelings! 🙂

Cindy January 24, 2012 at 11:53 am

oh that is gong to make me puke, and it takes ALOT To make me feel that way.

debi9kids January 24, 2012 at 12:08 pm

you should've been here. I had to leave the room because I was gagging so badly. ewwwwww

Cheryl January 24, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Wonder Chef and writer Anthony Bourdain always waxes poetic on the deliciousness of marrow….your sweet boy simply has gourmet tastes….now if he can just indulge in them outside your presence… 😉

cat@juggling act January 24, 2012 at 10:20 pm

You know, in South Africa eating bone marrow is somewhat of a tradition – I remember my father getting it all out for me and our Princess also loves it. Rest assured – it has heaps of nutrients.

Barbara Manatee January 26, 2012 at 4:37 pm

blech. I once had a student pick a piece of old gum off the bottom of an outdoor bench and eat it!

Rebecca (Liz) March 7, 2012 at 5:50 pm

My mom always did eat the bone marrow. I find it tasty but not worth the effort 😉

If you want a *really* weird food, try honey on salami. I was mad for it at about 14, though the craze was brief (a fact for which my parents are faithful). And I'm not autistic, I'm just odd! 🙂

hmm August 10, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Actually, bone marrow tastes really great.

He doesn't have a particular taste o.0

A lot of different countries eat bone marrow etc as a speciality.

When I was a baby, my parents made me eat things like goat spleen, liver, brain (all goat)

and before I knew what any of those were, I loved them all.

So I don't think he loves bone marrow because he's autistic and has different sensory perception 😛

simply because it tastes good!