a scum bag, discrimination & just plain old sticking their nose where it doesn’t belong

by debi9kids on January 23, 2012

a rant…
or three.

Joe Paterno.
Isn’t it sad?
He died.
And all across the internet and tv I am hearing and seeing people crying about what a great man he was and what a huge loss..
And, ok, I get it. He was a great coach, to a great school.
But really?
Really???
This man knew children were being abused * and he.did.nothing.
Nothing.
That is not great.
That.is.disgusting.
Period.

McDonald’s.
Is now forcing my kids to have apples in their Happy Meals and quite frankly,
it’s crap.
McDonald’s is.
And so is being forced to give my kids apples when Lord knows, we go to McDonald’s knowing damn well it.is.crap and the kids wantΒ  fries,
not 5, but a full bag of fries.

What is ridiculous is that I know full well that McDonald’s is junk food and yet, I choose to allow my kids to eat it because it’s my choice.
And frankly, it really, really annoys me that McDonald’s caved to pressure from some people who have nothing better to do than b*tch and moan about what goes into my kids’ mouths and is now taking something my kids enjoyed and turned it into a soggy bag of apples.

Here’s what… if you want your kids to have apples, order them!
Stop telling me what I can and can’t feed my children!

A new definition for Autism.
I will be honest, I haven’t done my homework on this one yet, but what I have read and have gathered so far, is.not.pretty…

The powers that be (not sure yet if that would be the American Psychiatric Association or the federal government) have decided that the “best way” to handle the autism epidemic in the United States is to stop diagnosing kids that currently fall under the diagnosis of “Aspergers” or “pdd” as “Autism Spectrum”.

You know, because if they don’t diagnose, they don’t exist.

It’s garbage!

These same brilliant “problem solvers” have come up with new criteria that children must meet in order to be classified and although Will does meet all 5, there are lots and lots of kids who won’t and I’m just wondering what these geniuses think they are going to do with the now, undiagnosed, previously diagnosed kids?
Cancel their therapy?
Put them into regular classrooms, remove their services, and wish them luck????

I have a hunch that this might have a hell of a lot more to do with dollars and cents than it does an epidemic because I’m guessing figuring out the cause might work better than pretending it doesn’t exist.

But, what do I know!?!
I’m just a mom living with an autistic son…

*As a foster parent, I had 3 children placed with me that had been sexually abused. This is a topic I DO not debate.

This has been part of my Wisdom Dump series.

Terri January 23, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Love the post! Agree with it all! But then are you surprised?

debi9kids January 23, 2012 at 4:05 pm

nope. especially when you inspired me after your rant about McDonalds yesterday…
It just makes me SO annoyed…
where else where "the tentacles" reach if we let them? UGH!

Shannon January 23, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Don't get me started on the whole Autism Spectrum and the DSM crap! I'm in the process of a whole blog post on Aspergers's and Isaac. {{{{hugs}}}}

debi9kids January 23, 2012 at 4:18 pm

It's total garbage, isn't it!?!

PS Can you send me an invite to your blog to my gmail account? I hardly ever use my yahoo anymore.

Shannon January 23, 2012 at 5:28 pm

I can – Let me know if you can't get into it when I post it – I think that I made it public again.

Christina January 23, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Paterno – ITA!!!!! Someone posted about him getting cancer and dying and I commented, "wow, Karma's a b!tc$H!!!" and people jumped all over me!

McDonald's – I get your point, but I was actually happy about it cuz Alex prefers apples over fries and now I don't have to order them extra. πŸ˜‰

Autism – ITA!!!! Big surprise, huh???

debi9kids January 23, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Emma actually prefers the apples as well and I order them for her anyway, but Will won't eat them even if it was a choice between dirt and apples.
He likes his fries πŸ˜‰

debi9kids January 23, 2012 at 4:49 pm

ps Paterno… I don't get it. I saw a post on a friends FB page saying she was so distraught over his death and I kept thinking, " really? did you know him personally?"

Mama D.s Dozen January 23, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Right there with you … on all 3 accounts.

Paterno … disgusting. keeping quiet, all in the name of the "good old boys club".

McDonalds … give everyone a choice between fries and apples. Duh!

Autism … huh? let's not diagnose so that we can pretend the kids don't have aspergers? I don't get it.

debi9kids January 23, 2012 at 5:04 pm

you & me both.
Just unfathomable.

Cheryl January 23, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I adore this post on every level! She-Twin has ALWAYS preferred the Apple Dippers in the Happy Meal. Now, they INSIST on giving the tiny portion fries along with the MANDATORY apples. We said we did not want it, and were told "it's included." (We still didn't want them….)

Guess what they WON'T give anymore? The caramel sauce. SHE-TWIN LOVED THE CARAMEL SAUCE! She used about a half a container total on all her nuggets (she dislikes all the other nugget sauces they try to fob off) and all her apples. THEY DO NOT OFFER THE CARAMEL ANYMORE!!! Why? Because "we are trying to be healthier." Healthier by forcing the fries (albeit a small pack) along with the apples we already wanted and by omitting the tiny dollop of caramel that managed to get my protein averse She-Twin to down her nuggets. McDonald's is WAY off the mark on this one. And I agree full-heartedly…MY CHOICE. taking away the toys? SERIOUSLY? THAT will help parents say "NO" to their children's requests for Happy Meals? Is there ANY parent who gets the formerly Happy Meals SOLELY for the prize?

Sorry to hijack, but I (like you) am miffed. So so so silly. Sell what people will buy. END OF STORY. If someone takes issue with the health factor or lack of health factor, NO ONE MAKES YOU BUY ANYTHING in this country. Express displeasure with your wallet.

debi9kids January 23, 2012 at 5:02 pm

don't apologize… rant away, my friend.
Amen to everything you just wrote!

JulieBouf January 23, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Unless there's a kid I know my kids will love, we usually don't get Happy Meals anyway…I just get one ten piece meal for both kids and have them split that and the medium fries.

I guess this new diagnosis issue won't really affect Katie since she doesn't get any services through the township anymore. But here's the thing..and I maybe totally off base – maybe this is just my experience – but every therapy Katie HAS ever received has been for specific needs (not her PDD-NOS diagnosis). For speech, occupational and physical therapies she had to demonstrate specific needs regardless of being on the autism spectrum. From what I've read, that will still be the same.

debi9kids January 23, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Will's entire class and therapies are based on his "autism" diagnosis.
There are a lot of kids in his class that wouldn't be able to be there anymore because they are right now "just on the spectrum" and not full-blown autism.

JulieBouf January 23, 2012 at 6:51 pm

heh…i mean toy my kids will love

JulieBouf January 23, 2012 at 6:59 pm

so I just read the new guidelines that you linked to. Interestingly, I think Katie fits the ASD under the new guidelines even more so than before where she was "kinda" but in some areas just a little so diagnosed as PDD-NOS. Interesting that it's not measured /considered at all now about high levels of anxiety and impulsiveness – which are now considered symptoms.

Alisha January 24, 2012 at 1:48 am

I totally agree on all counts, although, here in Canada, our Happy Meals are still regular. For a healthier option, they do offer the apple slices and caramel, and they have a grilled chicken wrap (which is still pretty unhealthy, when you think about it. lol). But I get it. Its like the people who sue McDonalds for being fat, yet sit on their butts and eat it all day long.

Joe Paterno … I don't get it. I don't get the riots after he was fired. I don't get all this sadness. Sure, he did great things. He also knew that boys were being assaulted, and molested. Sorry … in my books, how does he deserve my sympathy?

And you know my views on autism. Anything that supports children and families with autism, I am for 100%. Anything that doesn't, I am not! πŸ™‚

Christy January 24, 2012 at 2:43 am

Great post debi! Joe pa was indeed a great coach for a huge school and was treated like royalty there but there is no excuse for not doing more to help those little boys.

I also agree about McDonald's. While I do think picking the apples is the better choice but as little as I go there I will deal with knowing I picked the unhealthy choice for my kids those FEW times. Now if I bought my kids McDonald's meals once a week then I might want to reconsider getting the apples. But no matter what it should be my choice. Although I have to admit that I normally order off the dollar menu. I don't even remember the last time I bought a happy meal. I think it was when the smurf toys were in them and the girls really wanted those toys. Otherwise they are happy with me ordering off the dollar menu.

Heather January 24, 2012 at 5:23 pm

ITA about Paterno.

Now hold up one minute – they no longer give out toys in a Happy Meal? The hell? When did this happen? I'm so disappointed…omg!!!!

debi9kids January 24, 2012 at 5:37 pm

lol. I know. It's that what makes it "Happy" ????

Heather January 24, 2012 at 5:51 pm

If they had given me a happy meal with no freakin' toy in it when I was Emma's age, I'd have lost my mind right then and there. Thrown a fit of epic proportions. Never mind the apples, omg! What's next, no Playplace with the ball pit? Unbelievable.

Kath January 25, 2012 at 6:30 am

I feel very sad for who Joe Paterno was. All I ever heard about him is how GREAT of a coach he was. GREAT. Really?

With ALL the greatness and respect he HAD he was such a tiny little man and did not use that GREAT

NESS to stand up and protect CHILDREN from a known monster!!! So sad!

I GREATLY respect people that STAND UP and tell the TRUTH regardless what it may do to your "social standing".

Those apples kinda creep me out. I have never bought them for my teenagers tho so…….!!

I have a niece with Aspergers and once she was diagnosed she was FINALLY able to get the she help so needed. This has me cringing.

Limping off the ol' soap box.

Pol January 26, 2012 at 5:27 am

Pretty sure that our Happy Meals haven't changed yet in the UK – not that we order a Happy Meal any more as the kids are older – but really, what was the harm in the toys?

I keep hearing about the change to autism diagnosis – I think I really need to read up on it. Mr Ben is diagnosed with High Functioning Autism – I had expected a diagnosis of Aspergers, but because his language was delayed the diagnosis was HFA. It seems to be sucha fine line – if he keeps a diagnosis and others lose it? Not really fair!

debi9kids January 26, 2012 at 9:38 am

I know!
That's what I find so frustrating.
I know it won't change anything for my son, but I would expect that half of the kids in his special needs class would and that's a horrific thought.

Barbara Manatee January 26, 2012 at 4:36 pm

I'm definitely waiting to see how much this DSM change will affect kids on the spectrum.

I'm not crazy about the change in the Happy Meals either. I'm with Cheryl – my kids don't like the smaller bag of apples and absence of caramel. We never got the fries b/c we would just split 1 big one amongst us adults and kids. We really don't eat there that often so its not a huge deal, but like you said – let US decide for ourselves.