punishment, infringement and a little bit of awesomeness

by debi9kids on February 10, 2012

Ok, so there’s this video of a dad shooting his daughter’s laptop that has gone viral.
And I LOVE it.
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it.

Now, mind you, I’m not so much in love with the fact that he shot her laptop,
although, to be honest, there have been many a moment where I have been very tempted to shoot, smash, destroy, or throw my kids’ cell phones.

No, what I am in love with is that this dad took back his rightful position in his home.
His daughter was being deeply disrespectful and he stopped her.
And, I LOVE that.

It needs to be done.
And often.

Kids are out of control and it’s our fault.
Parents, I mean.
We’ve become so politically correct,
so afraid we’ll scar our kids,
so terrified our neighbors will judge us, or worse, call the police
that we don’t parent.

And at what cost???
Our kids are growing up to be entitled brats.

What happened to kids just…
being kids?
Respecting their parents,
honoring the rules,
speaking respectfully to all adults,
having real human conversations,
and caring about others first…

Where did we go wrong?

There is a lot of talk going on right now about “woman’s rights”.
And, frankly, it’s ridiculous.
And sad.

Sad because I think women are smarter than this and yet, we’re being made to look stupid by a bunch of politicians with agendas.
On both sides of the aisle.

I’ll be the first to say I don’t usually describe myself as a feminist and mostly because feminists typically have been defined as women who believe in the Right to Choose.
But, I am a feminist in that I believe women deserve equal rights.

Lately, we women have allowed the government to toss around the words “women’s rights” while they try to pass or change the Obama Care legislation.
We’ve allowed them to use scare tactics and threaten that one side or the other will possibly not allow women the right to birth control due to lack of funding or religious beliefs.

Are women really this gullible?

Will we really allow ourselves to be used as pawns in this political game?

I know, 100% certain, if I need or want birth control, I can find it, even if I’m poor.
Or, I just won’t have sex 😉

The resources are there for women.
We all know it.
And the idea that either the Democrats or the Republicans would remove a woman’s right to birth control is ridiculous.

The issue at hand is religious freedom, not women’s rights and we need to stop allowing ourselves to be used or we become the very stereotype that we’ve fought so long to get rid of.

My friend, Sunday is FABULOUS.
She writes at Adventures in Extreme Parenthood about her life with her two autistic boys and she.is.brilliant.
(and by brilliant, I mean B-R-I-L-L-I-A-N-T)
She is funny, and witty and down.to.earth and sometimes brutally honest about her life.
And, it’s refreshing.

Not only was Sunday the inspired mind behind the petition for Amelia Riveria’s transplant that was denied by CHOP, but Sunday has now outdone herself in the special needs community.

If you’re online for even a teeny tiny bit of time, you must be familiar with Ryan Gosling and the “Hey Girl” photos.

Well, Sunday thought that something was missing….
some “Hey Girl” photos for special needs moms.
So, Sunday created some.
And did not disappoint.
True to Sunday’s fashion, they.are.FABULOUS,
and funny,
and sexy,
and an honest look at what’s going on in a special needs mom’s life.
(and what we all wish our husband’s would say, you know, if our husband was Ryan Gosling, had a clue and realized Valentine’s Day was next week…hint hint…)

Check them out.
Pin them.
Show them to your friends.
Even if you don’t know what it means to be a special needs mom, you’ll appreciate them.
I promise.

Aren’t you glad I ended on a happier note???
It’s not always about being b*tchy 😉

This has been part of my Wisdom Dump series.

Sunday Stilwell February 10, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Thank you, my friend for the shout out! I love you for being one of my biggest cheerleaders.

debi9kids February 10, 2012 at 6:12 pm

You are very welcome. (you make it so easy 😉 )
PS I fixed your blog title. It's been "one of those days…"

Beth Zimmerman February 10, 2012 at 4:03 pm

I asked Josiah (22) what he thought about the video. He said he told someone at work that he thought we would have skipped shooting the laptop and just shot him! Ha Ha! We're truly NOT violent but he does have a point. We would NEVER have tolerated that level of disrespect under any circumstances! And that's part of the reason that he is a delightful young adult! Who kind of looks like Ryan Gosling, come to think of it!

debi9kids February 10, 2012 at 6:19 pm

heehee! My kids likely would've answered the same thing 😉

(again, not that they would ever be dealt with like that but more because I simply wouldn't tolerate that kind of behavior. period.)

I hear you on being a disciplined parent! It turns out awesome kids 🙂

Sandy February 10, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Loved the video (minus the cussing). However, I sure could of used that laptop…what a waste of good money. But you are right, this day stood up and took his position. All parents should and if we did, kids would be so different.

debi9kids February 10, 2012 at 6:10 pm

You and me both.
To be honest, I smashed my daughter's iPod after repeated warnings that I'd take it away and she'd never get it back.
Of course, in reality, I have lots of other kids who would've LOVED to have that iPod, BUT knowing my daughter, she would've just "borrowed" it from them and never given it back.
UGH.
It would be SO much nicer if kids just didn't think they NEEDED everything they see.

Barbara Manatee February 10, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I have seen that video pop up but haven't watched it myself. Very curious about it though.

I'll definitely have to check out Sunday's pics!

debi9kids February 10, 2012 at 6:12 pm

I'm much more impressed with the father's words than his shooting of the laptop. (although I could care less what he did with it. he bought it 😉 )
I just like the way he thinks, esp after his daughter was SO completely disrespectful.

Holly February 11, 2012 at 5:46 am

Oh my, I just had to watch the video. I think that we as parents should bring discipline back. My son's (B) counselor told me that I ask too much of him, OH PLEASE! there is no reason that he cannot unload the dishwasher once in a while. Special needs or not they need to learn to be responsible.

debi9kids February 11, 2012 at 5:55 am

What I find disturbing is that there is all this uproar over the dad shooting the laptop but not over the selfish stuff his daughter wrote. tHaT is what's wrong with society.

JulieBouf February 11, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Ooh, can we request personal wording from Sunday…like "If Katie wants to wear the same clothes for the rest of her life because it affects her sensory disorder to try something new…it's all good"

debi9kids February 11, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Julie, I would TOTALLY ask. Sunday is a Rock Star and I would bet she'd do it for you 🙂

Maybe a " Hey Girl. Just saved us a bundle by buying 5 of the same outfits for little Katie. If she wants to wear the same outfit every day, I'm all over that sh*t. It's all good. "