pausing from the moving chaos to breathe a little

by debi9kids on March 13, 2012

Moving is exhausting,
especially when you’re attempting to cram the contents of a 5000 sq ft home into a 2200 sq ft home.

{I’ll pause for a moment while you imagine that.}

I have been opening,
and opening,
and opening boxes and just feeling overwhelmed.

I’m trying to decide what’s important and what isn’t and while I love the idea of simplifying, I don’t love the idea of throwing things away or having a yard sale knowing I will likely make a mere $20 like I did the last time.

Anyway…
the moving part was actually made SO much less stressful by some serious blessings,
a few friends of Russ’ actually traveled up to PA with their trucks this weekend to help us.
It was amazing!
And went SO much faster than when we moved the last time and it was just Russ and I, the kids, and my youngest siblings.

But, even more amazing have been the members of the local Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
Two missionaries happened to be walking through our new neighborhood last week and when they saw we were moving, they offered to help.
They showed up and stayed for HOURS and happened to come at a time when both Russ and I were really feeling the incredible pressure of the move and just needed to feel…
thankful again.

But the church members didn’t stop there.
They returned a few days later just to see how we were making out and to ask if we needed any more help.
And, today, two of the elder members came by with cookies for the kids.

Who does that????

And, while I know there will be those who think that it might be over-the-top or trying to force-feed their faith to us, the truth is, they never even asked if we were Christian, or faithful, or if we wanted to know about the Mormon faith.

All they wanted to do…
was help.

It was an amazing blessing,
especially because I have honestly been feeling down.
I don’t especially love our new home,
it’s small and outdated and not in my favorite town or neighborhood.
And, I’ve been ungrateful.

Nothing like God slapping me in the face a little with faith to bring me around a little.
Seriously.
There is nothing like it.

And, if that wasn’t enough, God put the icing on the cake today.
We not only found out that Stephanie was accepted to the college of her dreams, but that both Keith and Emma were accepted into an new charter school in our area. The school had very few openings and we were told it wasn’t likely going to happen, but somehow, we were blessed.

And, just like that,
my faith is restored.

We’ve invited the missionaries and the elders to our home this upcoming Sunday night because honestly, we appreciate them and we truly want them to know how thankful we are that they happened upon our family last week…

Joining in with 7 Clown Circus , Lolli and Parenting by Dummies for Wordful Wednesday.

Kerry March 13, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Just goes to show no matter what your own personal beliefs are helping ones in need should be our mission. Maybe if people would start doing this our world would be a better place to live.

debi9kids March 13, 2012 at 7:59 pm

amen!

Alicia March 13, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Oh..I'm so happy how the Lord showed Himself to you through other people. What a blessing! I'm so glad that things are coming together!!

debi9kids March 13, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Thank you!
You and me both.
I was just SO down and honestly not behaving in a very grateful or nice manner and needed to be shown… so glad that He did 🙂

Liz @ A Nut in a Nut March 13, 2012 at 8:49 pm

I am so happy for your blessings, and I hope that the transition will be a happy one for you!

debi9kids March 13, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Thank you!
It's still pretty rough {read: KNEE DEEP in boxes}, but at least I know there's a horizon again 😉

marion March 13, 2012 at 10:17 pm

🙂

Barb March 14, 2012 at 12:50 am

Woooohooooo for the kindness of others! The college and charter school acceptance are outstanding, too. Blessings are sooooooooooo cool! 🙂

Cat@jugglingact March 14, 2012 at 1:07 am

Wow for Steph especially and so grateful for the blessings you recieved. I truly believe that Christians of all denominations should stand together. I truly think God would love his children helping each other, be it from different branches of the extended family

Heather March 14, 2012 at 2:46 am

Such a wonderful way to be blessed. =]

Prayers for all of you……transitions are always hard.

Congratulations to Stephanie! =] And to Keith and Emma! Sooo wonderful! =]

Will say a prayer for your dinner….such a sweet thing to do. =]

Hugs and Love

Heather

Stacy Uncorked March 14, 2012 at 4:26 am

This is one of the reasons we've been procrastinating on moving back to the West Coast to live near my family…the whole packing/moving thing is SO overwhelming. How COOL you were blessed with such wonderful help! Good luck on the whole settling in part – reducing 'stuff' to fit into a smaller space is definitely a challenge – but you can do it! ((HUGZ!!))

Signs of Spring At Last

Cindy March 14, 2012 at 4:54 am

I have to tell you that EVER person that I have met coming out of that church is amazing and helpful. Only a few have made comments about converting me, others have just been amazing friends.

Mimi March 14, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Dontcha love when God moves in the midst of chaos? He is sooo good! He pours out His blessings!

debi9kids March 15, 2012 at 8:20 pm

absolutely!

angie March 15, 2012 at 7:03 pm

It's always such a blessing to have help when you move especially when it's to a place where you don't have a support system in place where you can call on someone when you need them. When we moved to MA (where we didn't know ANYONE) I remember feeling so grateful for the help we received from ward members that we didn't know but that were willing to help when we needed it. It makes me happy to know that there are still people out there that are willing to offer random acts of kindness and that there are people willing to accept those acts of kindness. 🙂 You do know, don't you that those people that helped you probably feel just as blessed to be able to have helped your family get settled as you felt helped by their hands?

I'm so happy that the kids got into the school that you wanted them to get into and that you have a great window by which you can watch the kids play in the backyard!

debi9kids March 15, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Thanks for that, Angie.
You know, as much as I used to (and do) feel that way when I help other people, it didn't occur to me that it would be the same for the ward members. Thanks for the reminder <3

Lolli @ Better in Bu March 15, 2012 at 8:45 pm

This just makes me smile. I am so glad that someone was there for you when you needed to be lifted up. We all need that sometimes. Or at least I know I do. And you know? Your story has restored a little faith and hope in ME today. I'm glad I came for a visit. 🙂

debi9kids March 15, 2012 at 8:53 pm

I'm glad I could help 😉

Mama D.s Dozen March 17, 2012 at 12:41 pm

First of all … as the mother of a dozen children … I'm trying to imagine a 5,000 square foot house. Wow! That would be amazing.

And … 2200 really isn't all that "small". We lived with 7 children in 1400 sq. ft. for 3 years, and we had 10 children in 2,000 sq. ft. for a couple of years. So … I know you can DO IT. 🙂

So glad that you have a HOME of your own. So thankful that your kids got into the schools that you hoped for. So amazed at the kindness of strangers.

So glad that the Lord has shown you He is FAITHFUL … and that your faith has been restored.

Hugs!

🙂 🙂 🙂

Kath March 19, 2012 at 7:48 am

What a blessing to your family!

As we painted the house I am trying to simplify the decor. Trying. I'm finding it to be very…trying!!

When I dont want to part with my "stuff" (my guys call it "junk") but yet dont want to display it any longer I wonder whats really wrong with me!! LOL

In the past I have brought my decor(and clothes) to a local consignment shop. Less work for me and seems to make alot more $s than a garage sale. I have so much less time, advertising dollars invested at the end too.

Now to just get the decision making time down to a bare minimum. 🙂