Menu Plan Monday: 4th Week of Lent

by debi9kids on March 19, 2012

I can’t tell you how much less stressed I was last week once I had a little bit of organization in my life.
It may seem like a teeny tiny thing, but not having to really think about what to make for dinner every day was a HUGE weight lifted.
I don’t know about you, but when I don’t plan a menu, I tend to panic somewhere around lunchtime when I realize ,”Oh dear God, I haven’t taken anything out for dinner”. So, having it all written down and planned… oh mama, it makes my life simpler.
(Of course, linking with Organizing Junkie , the Goddess of all things organized 🙂

4th Week of Lent

Sunday: Nacho Bar with all the “fixins”. (steak, chicken, cheese, hot peppers, sour cream, salsa, pico, shredded lettuce, black beans and refried beans). YUM!

Monday: garlic chicken, herb & butter rice, & corn

Tuesday: sloppy joes, potato chips, applesauce

Wednesday: Formal Dinner Night: ham, mac & cheese, corn, salad, baked spiced apples and peach pie for dessert

Thursday: swiss chicken in crock pot (recipe to be posted), egg noodles, and french cut green beans with sesame seeds

Friday:(meatless)Eggplant Rollatini and crusty french bread with sun-dried tomato basil butter:
This is one of my FAVORITE butter recipes!
16 years ago, Russ & I went on our honeymoon to a fantastic place called The Inn at Thorn Hill in Jackson, New Hampshire. Not only was the atmosphere absolutely PERFECT for newlyweds because it was so cozy and romantic, but the food was probably the best I have ever eaten. (we always said we would go back one day…. perhaps if we re-new our vows….)
One of our favorites while dining at the Inn was the crispy bread and delicious butter and on our last night there, I begged and begged and finally was given the easy, yet absolutely delicious, recipe.
Affectionately known as:
Honeymoon Butter

1/4 c. sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
1 LARGE clove of garlic (apx. the size of a walnut), diced

2 sticks of butter, room temperature

Combine butter & tomatoes in blender.

Add in diced garlic

Add in apx. 1 TBS of dried basil
Blend all ingredients together until well combined & no large chunks.

Store in refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.

This butter is fantastic on crispy Italian bread, either toasted or plain.
Great served along-side pasta dishes.
I hope you will love this as much as we do 🙂

Saturday:Breakfast for Dinner: Belgian waffles with fresh fruit, homemade whipped cream, and maple sausage links

kim walker March 19, 2012 at 7:45 pm

I really need to do this for my family! I also forget to take things out until it is almost too late then find myself struggling to get dinner on the table at a decent time. What are the details of your formal dinner night? Do you guys dress up and use propped place setting and manners and such? We used to be really bad and eat in front of the TV every night but a year ago we started "family dinner night" and now we do it EVERY night. I think a formal dinner night would be fun since going to a fancy restaurant is just not possible with a family of 6.

debi9kids March 19, 2012 at 8:26 pm

for our formal dinner: we don't dress up (mainly because I don't want the extra laundry 😉 )
But, we do use my good china, cloth napkins, crystal, candles, and I usually play classical music or opera.
The kids all enjoy it (even Will).

ps Yes, I hear you on going out, although for us it's more because of cost than behavior at this point (except for Will, of course, who doesn't really understand proper manners)

kim walker March 19, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Yes for us going out is about cost as well, and I completely understand about the laundry, lol. I think we will start doing a formal dinner too, it sounds like fun!! My four year old daughter is so girly she would love it!

debi9kids March 19, 2012 at 8:41 pm

I think what my kids like the best is drinking sparkling cider out of wine glasses 🙂

Cat@jugglingact March 20, 2012 at 1:31 am

Oh I am drooling for that butter!

debi9kids March 20, 2012 at 3:13 am

It really is delicious!

hsmominmo March 20, 2012 at 11:13 am

tomato and basil is an all-time favorite combo of mine – a little garlic never hurt, either! I'm going to try this recipe, for sure. Thanks for sharing!

I like your Formal Dinner idea, as well. I'm trying to incorporate ideas like this for my family, just because – instead of always saving them for visitors or special occasions.

Barbara Manatee March 20, 2012 at 6:02 pm

That butter DOES sound amazing! We need to get back in the habit of making a weekly menu = makes life SO much easier. I'm incredibly lucky though that my husband does the bulk of the cooking here. For one, he's a better, more creative cook than I am and also since he works from home, he can get dinner started easier than I can when I'm running from work, the gym and 2 daycares (and doing any other errands that need to be done!).

A Nacho Bar sounds yummy!!

Tomorrow will be nice. Our daycare has a parent who has started her own catering company. To help build her business, she has picked a few nights each month to make meals for parents to pick up, cooked and ready to go (hot when we get them!) We picked up enchiladas 2 weeks ago and there's a chicken meal tomorrow that we decided to get, too. Will be nice to have a good cooked meal (not fast food) ready to go when we walk in the door but without the work!!

Kath March 21, 2012 at 11:11 am

Looking forward to trying that butter! And if my guys pull up their noses at tomatoes in it….well then there will be more for me!! 🙂

Rona March 22, 2012 at 4:32 pm

You have a delicious menu planned.

Have a great weekend!

debi9kids March 22, 2012 at 4:41 pm

thanks and thanks for stopping by 😉

GiadasMama March 25, 2012 at 3:25 pm

your menu looks delish!

i love the formal dinner idea. i want to do that once my daughter is old enough.

and that butter…

i am making it next week! i will link back and let you know how i like it.

looking forward to reading your blog!!

Here is a link to my Menu Plan

I finally got a chance to sit down and do some browsing and look for some new ideas/recipes

I'd love if you stopped by my page

Enjoy your weekend:)