Hey girl! Time to Advocate!

by debi9kids on March 22, 2012

I hate IEP meetings.
Hate them.
Mostly because I know going into them that I’m not going to be happy.
And, generally, when I’m not happy and it has something to do with my kids’ futures, I freak out (inside) and end up crying.
{ I’m a cryer. }
It sucks.

Just a few weeks ago, I had to attend Keith’s IEP and I ended up so aggravated that I not only felt the tears burning behind my eyes, but I left so angry that I withdrew Keith from his school and signed him up for a new charter school in our town.
I’m not 100% that Keith will do well in this new environment, but I can’t help feeling like anything is better than nothing, which is what he was getting before.

And now I have Will’s IEP coming up and I’m terrified.
I’ve already had a preliminary meeting where I was told they hope to include Will in a regular ed kindergarten.
This is SO not going to happen.
If Will had aspergers, maybe, but Will doesn’t.
He has extremely low functioning autism and I just can’t imagine my sweet boy, functioning on an 18 month old level, attending school with regular ed 5 year olds.
It.won’t.happen!
So, my stomach is churning,
not because I know I won’t get exactly what I want for Will,
but because the confrontation makes me ill.

If only I could have Ryan Gosling there with me, holding my hand, to give me comfort….
(guess I’ll have to settle for Russ 😉 )

So, here’s my Hey Girl Special Needs photo for the week, using Sunday’s photo choice:
And using a photo I chose:

Check out other great (see how I compliment myself???) Hey Girl posters at Extreme Parenthood.

Dawn Wright March 22, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Oh dear…….UGH!!!!! I also hate confrontation and try to avoid it….but when it comes to your kids- you just have to do what momma bear does!!!! PRAYING!!

debi9kids March 22, 2012 at 8:30 pm

yep.

Pretty much, I enter the room and attitude is usually right behind me 😉

Beth March 22, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Hey Girl! Those kids are so blessed to have you in their corner!

debi9kids March 22, 2012 at 8:31 pm

awwww… thank you Beth <3

Sunday Stilwell March 23, 2012 at 1:43 am

LOVE the posters, Debi!

Also, I wanted to suggest that you and Russ consider hiring an advocate to go with you to Will's IEP meeting. Some use a special education lawyer for meetings like this and have a better result of getting what their child needs and deserves from the school system.

Amanda @ Confessions March 23, 2012 at 3:44 am

Love your barefoot Ryan!

I hope for the best with your next IEP meeting. I'm right there with you. I'm pulling both kids at the end of this year. Anything has to be better than where they are now, and we won't know unless we try, right? We're going to be doing cyber school.

Jim W. March 23, 2012 at 4:33 am

Ha! I like it. "skeeves".

Jenny March 23, 2012 at 5:17 am

I hope everything goes well with your IEP. I've been very lucky as far as they go and hope you have the same kind of good luck!

Margaret March 23, 2012 at 5:51 am

IEPs are the worst. I can totally commiserate. Both of my boys IEPs are coming up (Ben next week and Jacob next month).

I am one of those who use a Special Ed lawyer. I would highly, highly suggest bringing a lawyer or advocate with you to your son's IEPs.

It will not end the confrontation and it is not the same as Ryan holding your hand, but it will make a difference in what you are able to achieve for your children.

Good look! I will be thinking of you!!

Patty March 23, 2012 at 7:05 am

I so feel for you when it comes to school meetings. I hate IEPs too. We have been having a bunch of issues with my son's school too and I am so pissed and on edge and overwhelmed, I can barely stand it!

I love your memes, though!

Kelly March 23, 2012 at 7:08 am

Hey Girl – awesome post! New reader, but I'll be thinking about you today hoping all goes well during the dreaded IEP.

Cassie @Aka Super Mo March 23, 2012 at 9:18 am

I hate it when things get heated with our kids. Anything that's upsetting or makes me mad involving my daughter sets off the sprinklers. I hate to cry in front of other people too! Good luck with your meeting & I love your Ryan posters!:-)

Deborah Greene March 23, 2012 at 10:29 am

Wishing you lots and lots of strength at this next IEP meeting. It's okay if they see you cry, just so long as they know it's not a sign of weakness, but the fierce love & determination of a momma bear who will do anything to protect her cub!

Love the pics and barefoot in the lake totally skeeves me out too!

Maria D. March 23, 2012 at 4:45 pm

First, I want to give you a giant cyber hug! I sympathize with you greatly. IEP's suck! I just had a doozy one and my heart was racing a mile a minute because I had to disagree with them and was all alone (unfortunatley my husband had to work that day). I still don't understand why it's so hard for school's too see what the right thing to do is and then follow through and do it! Also, Ryan's right, noone can advocate better for your kiddos than you. You are amazing. 🙂

Lara March 23, 2012 at 11:51 pm

So sorry you have to deal with all of this! Have you considered homeschooling again?

Anyway, hugs…

And good luck!!!!!

tulpen March 24, 2012 at 4:24 am

I hate confrontation too, it incapacitates me, can't think, can't produce coherent thoughts… just blind rage.

Oh that Ryan…he just gets it ALL right??

what would we do without him.

Yeran (Stranger Than March 24, 2012 at 3:20 pm

I too hate confrontation :-/ if only Ryan could go in with us on these meetings 😉

kim walker March 24, 2012 at 6:14 pm