Myth Busters ~ Republicans

by debi9kids on March 26, 2012

This is my attempt to de-bunk some common myths as I know them.
My answers are my answers only and are just based on my knowledge from experience as I know it to be true and not on clinical trials. (unless sited)

* for this particular post, I am drawing on my own experience & experiences of my friends

1. Republicans are racists.
Ask Congressman Allen West if he agrees with that. Or, better yet, former Presidential candidate Herman Cain. (I’m not defending or damning Herman Cain for the allegations, nor am I asking to debate who he is/was as a man)
Or, if you want a more personal answer… look at my family.
Do you think we’re racists?
My firm belief and the way I raise my children is that there is NO color, just human beings. I refuse to teach my children that color matters.
It doesn’t.
Period.
And, maybe it comes from growing up in northern states, but it is a RARE day when I come across a Republican that talks about/mentions/or even cares about the color of a person’s skin.

2. Republicans are homophobes.
False.
Republicans tend to be traditionalists.
It does not mean all Republicans don’t love or respect personal life choices.
And, for the record, one of my boys has a gay Godfather and one of my boys has a lesbian Godmother.

3. All Republicans are members of the Tea Party and vice versa..
False.
I am personally a member of the Tea Party. We proudly went to Washington to voice our concerns about Obamacare, but that certainly does not mean ALL Republicans are members of the Tea Party, nor does that mean that all members of the Tea Party are Republicans.
Quite the contrary. While in Washington, my family was embraced and talked to by so many people from different walks of life, races, religions, and political parties that it was amazing.

4. Republicans are rich.
Ha!
I wish!
I’ll just leave it at that 😉

5. Republican = Conservative
Sadly, not true.
I am personally a Republican and conservative.
But, I definitely know LOTS of Republicans who are not conservative.
(and Mitt Romney comes to mind as well…. although, let me be clear, he will have my support if he’s the GOP candidate, just as John McCain did.)

6. All Republicans watch Fox News, listen to Rush and subscribe to Drudge.
probably. heehee 😉
In the same sense that all liberals watch Jon Stewart, listen to Bill Mahar and subscribe to The Huffington Post 😉
(I am certain it is not ALL on either side.)

7. Republicans are not only frugal, but are stingy.
false, false, false.
Rather than go into personal instances of my giving over those of liberals whom I know, I will instead site examples from an Op-Ed column from the liberal NYTimes where it states:
Liberals show tremendous compassion in pushing for generous government spending to help the neediest people at home and abroad. Yet when it comes to individual contributions to charitable causes, liberals are cheapskates.
Republicans give 30-50% more to charities than Democrats do.

8. Republicans don’t care about women’s healthcare issues.
I don’t even know why this is even a question.
It’s ridiculous and in my opinion, it’s an attempt that’s obviously working at getting the focus off the real issues.
Republicans have NO intentions of controlling, talking about, or legislating women’s birth control.
Trust me, Republican women wouldn’t allow it either.
(and, trust me, women of the GOP don’t want liberal healthcare issues shoved down our throats either)
Pretty sure, it’s safe to assume, this topic is a moot point and it would do us all better to just focus on the horrible economy.

9. Republicans love war.
Ah yes, because we love to see our loved ones deployed, possibly harmed or worse.
I honestly think it comes from a pride standpoint. Now, mind you, this is my opinion only, but I will say that most Republicans I know tend to be more outwardly patriotic, excited about our country and just plain old proud.
It would stand to reason that more veterans tend to be Republican rather than Democrat, but I truly believe it’s the desire to share our good fortunes with other countries and to stop evil where it exists. (or, at least, if I were entering the military, that would be why 😉 )

10. Republicans don’t care about the environment, just big oil companies.
Personally, my feeling on this is not that I don’t care about the environment, but right now, I care more about my pocketbook and I would prefer we drill WHILE figuring out alternative fuels rather than paying a fortune at the pumps.
I will also add that I do everything I can to reuse, recycle and re-purpose in our home.
While I can’t say if I do more or less than my liberal counterparts, I will say that I don’t own any stock in BP either 😉

This is a new series of posts I have started. I’ll be de-bunking myths from my experiences.
Future posts: adoption, foster care, parenting a mega family, autism, raising boys, homeschooling… to name a few 😉

Tracie March 26, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Great first post in what sounds to be an interesting series.

I stand pretty much where you do on most of these things. But I do have to ask, what does it mean if you watch Fox News, listen to Rush, subscribe to Drudge AND watch Jon Stewart, listen to Bill Mahar, subscribe to The Huffington Post? Because I do all that. Some more than others, but a little of everything.

debi9kids March 27, 2012 at 8:06 am

It just means you're open-minded.
I think its just typically assumed that "all"Republicans do those things is all, or, more likely assumed that no one that is independent could possibly want to watch Fox, listen to Rush or read Drudge. Kwim?

Heather March 26, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Totally. I could not agree with you more; in fact, I'm raising my hands, hallelujah-style, at your post. For too long, the media has portrayed Republican women as being sheeple Michelle Duggar types, but not all of us are like that… 🙂 I, for one, am a Southern Republican woman who is not a racist or a homophobe BUT believes that anyone on welfare who can work should work. I'm not a member of the Tea Party and I'm a moderate (well, okay, to most people I'm a conservative), and while I'm almost always pro-life, I don't want anyone telling myself and my husband that we can't use birth control. On war, meh – I'm a Zionist who believes that Israel has divine claim to their land, and anyone who messes with them messes with us. But being part Jewish, I'm entitled to that line of thinking. 🙂 With all that said, I'm so glad that you posted this. Lets us know that Republican women can speak for ourselves, and that we come in all kinds. 🙂

Joni March 27, 2012 at 6:14 am

Thank you for this!! I've been screaming those same statements for the last six months. I agree 100% and wish others could see the truth.

I am a Republican and a Conservative and would really like the religious right extremists to leave my party alone.

A final note, as a fellow Pennsylvanian I want everyone to know that we are not responsible for Rick Santorum.

debi9kids March 28, 2012 at 9:07 am

While I am a pretty religious person, I do agree that those who shove their views down anyone's throats are not good for any party.

I will say that I do like Rick Santorum. I don't always like the things he says, but I like that he seems to be a man of integrity and as a mom of 3 disabled children, I do love that he would give a voice to those children because of how his personal life has been touched.

Mimi March 27, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Amen, amen, and amen. As for Bill Mahar…all i have to say is, "ugh"! LOL I'm with you on each and every one of those points and your explanations!

debi9kids March 28, 2012 at 9:03 am

I used to watch Bill Mahar YEARS ago and loved the snarkiness. Unfortunately, he has now gotten to the point of downright obnoxious and I just can't tolerate him anymore.

Kath March 28, 2012 at 8:37 am

Great post!

Recently a painter was here for a long 12 1/2 hour day. Listening to talk radio.

For the record….I am a conservative Republican and ANY talk radio rakes my nerves like nails on a chalkboard!

Let me tell you that twelve and one half hours of talk radio for a non-talk radio person makes for a very loooooonnnnggg day!

debi9kids March 28, 2012 at 9:04 am

I LOVE talk radio. I'm totally addicted. It's why I have NO clue who 90% of musicians are 😉

Mama D.s Dozen April 9, 2012 at 10:30 pm

GREAT post! Look forward to your new series.

Racist? I remember years ago when my staunchly democratic dad was SHOCKED that one of my girls had a black barbie doll. He totally assumed that we were racist because we were republican. Huh?!?! Then, of course, we didn't stop at black barbie dolls … we actually adopted black children from Africa. 🙂

Tea Party? I'm not a member of the Tea Party … but we like tea parties at our house. 🙂

Homophobes? We truly shocked our relatives when they showed up for Thanksgiving and we had invited a gay couple for the holiday dinner. I worked with the guy and they didn't have any plans for the holiday. So, I invited them over.

Rich? No.

Conservative? Absolutely. However … "politically conservative" can be quite different than "religiously conservative". While I am a homeschooling mama of a dozen children, I am most certainly NOT a Michelle Duggar. I gave up the denim jumpers about 20 years ago. I prefer the NIV Bible over the King James. I love my contemporary Christian music, and prefer it over hymns. So, while some would see our family as "quite conservative", others look at us as "the rebellious ones", and most certainly "not conservative".

Love War? Oh.My.No. My eldest son served 4 1/2 years in the army (serving 2 1/2 on the front lines in Iraq). My 2nd son is an officer in the navy. I most certainly do NOT like war; but I couldn't be more proud of my sons choices to serve their country.

Looking forward to your next post in this series.

Laurel 🙂

debi9kids April 10, 2012 at 8:01 am

You just described my religious.views exactly. Michelle Duggar I am not either 😉

Dawn Wright July 3, 2012 at 7:21 pm

OK this just makes me chuckle…..he he he…..LOVE IT!!! True again 🙂

Lori Lavender Luz October 24, 2012 at 5:46 pm

LOL on #4!

I live in a purple house. My husband is of one color political stripe and I tend to be of the other. Demythifying is something we have done all through our marriage.

"Republicans give 30-50% more to charities than Democrats do." I didn't know that!

Great post. You tackled the biggies.