clouds are lifting. it isn’t cancer.

by debi9kids on April 11, 2012

A while back I read a post on Scary Mommy about skin cancer and I remember sort-of freaking out thinking about what a terrifying diagnosis skin cancer must be, mostly because it seems like it’s one of those cancers that even if doctors catch it early and treat it, you will always be worrying about it coming back, as with my dear friend Cheryl’s husband who is now battling melanoma again.
And, because of how many people in my life are either battling cancer or have fought and won or sadly lost, cancer is always on my mind, probably to the point of an unhealthy obsession.
In short, cancer is my greatest fear.
So, 4 months ago when I noticed that a mole on my stomach had changed (gotten larger and darker) I made an appointment right away to be seen by a dermatologist.
Then I had to cancel it.
So, I rescheduled.
And then had to cancel it again.
And this happened for months and partly because I was afraid and partly because life was just getting in the way.
{stupid. I know.}
So, today I finally forced myself to go.
And while I wasn’t looking forward to lying completely naked on a table having my body completely and thoroughly inspected, it needed to be done.
The doctor was fantastic and did walk me through everything and pointed out what I should be concerned about and what I shouldn’t be and in the end, I have 3 moles that they will be “watching” but
I don’t have cancer.
{thank you God!}

I have to go back in 6 months, unless I notice any more changes.

I can not even tell you the relief I feel.
I was so stressed out walking into that office this morning that my stomach was in knots and I thought I might throw up as I sat on the table waiting to be examined.

When I walked out of the office, there was this beautiful light shinning through the stormy clouds above me and a huge, heavy weight  lifted from my soul.And, you know, I’ve had a lot of people tell me since we’ve moved that maybe our luck is finally going to start changing for the better and maybe, just maybe, they are right…

Joining in with 7 Clown Circus , Lolli and Parenting by Dummies for Wordful Wednesday .

Tracey April 11, 2012 at 7:48 am

happy for you, and yes I hope you luck is changing for the better – Hugs!

Cat@jugglingact April 11, 2012 at 7:49 am

This makes me so totally happy!

Marion April 11, 2012 at 7:50 am

😀

Kath April 11, 2012 at 7:53 am

So thankful to hear that!!!

Mama D.s Dozen April 11, 2012 at 8:22 am

Beautiful picture!

We have a little light shining through one area of our dark storm clouds, and I am PRAYING that the other dark clouds will let the Light shine through, as well.

We are most certainly ready for "our luck to change" … or for GOD to step in and do some Mighty Miracles.

Rejoicing with you this morning.

Laurel

Lauree April 11, 2012 at 9:20 am

Such wonderful news to hear!

Melanoma is not to be messed with and it's the one form of skin cancer ANYONE can get. I've read up on it myself as I faithfully visit my dermatologist every 6 months. Even those with the darkest of skin can get melanoma and I feel that's the most frightening thing of all!

I'd always known I should be getting checked regularly as I've my father's fair skin. It wasn't until he and I were in Spokane, WA in 2009, visiting his younger brother/my Uncle, who was on his deathbed from Melanoma. It sounds so cinematic and slightly goofy, but I made him a promise that I would no longer avoid getting checked. As soon as I returned, I got in to see my primary doctor who referred me quickly to my dermatologist as there was a mole on my belly that was suspicious. I joked "this belly hasn't seen the light of day since I was about four years old!" I learned that it doesn't matter! The biopsy of the small part removed came back pre-cancerous and the whole mole was removed. I wear sunscreen every day (I think it's how I keep my youthful face!) and am super careful when in strong sunlight.

I certainly don't enjoy having my body checked as thoroughly as they do in the exam, but it gives me peace of mind knowing I'm doing my best to keep healthy.

As hard as it is, faith will see us through!!

And a new motto for me: "Pale skin is in!"

Have a fabulous day!!

debi9kids April 11, 2012 at 9:27 am

I said the same thing! My stomach hasn't seen the light of day since I was maybe 14 and yet, that's where one of my moles is as well.
I'm glad you had yours checked and you're ok Lauree. My sister lost her MIL to Melanoma after a long hard battle and after it had spread out of control to her organs. It was awful 🙁
Agreed! Pale skin is in!

Cindy April 11, 2012 at 3:32 pm

That is wonderful new Debi I am so happy for you!

Holly April 11, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Yeah!! You deserve all of the good things that God brings your way!!

Barbara Manatee April 11, 2012 at 6:58 pm

So glad all is ok, Debi! I was in your shoes, but for a different issue just last week. For the past 2 years, I've had a tender spot in my right breast. At first, it was just assumed it was a plugged duct after nursing. It was just once in a while, so I wasn't too concerned although I did mention it to the Dr the last 2 years at my annual exam. Well, this winter, I went probably 2-3 months straight with that spot tender all the time. Just sitting here, I'd notice it and if I bumped it, it hurt more. I finally made an appt.

My Dr did not feel anything other than what she guesses was fibrous tissue but she obviously wanted to be sure so I had my first Mammogram last week, at age 34.

The medical imaging place is right next door to a Center for Women's Breast Health…I didn't know that and wasn't sure if that was a good sign or a bad omen. As I pulled in to park, I noticed the lines in the parking lot were not the usual yellow and blue…but all PINK…and there were 2 HUGE Breast Cancer Ribbons on each side of the main doors. Again…were these good signs or bad signs pointing me to where I'd be going next?

Thankfully, at the end of the Appt, a nurse said I was good to go, things looked ok and they'd 'see me next year'. I haven't heard an official word from my Dr but am taking that as a good sign.

I have debated whether to blog about it but (1) wanted to wait for sure for word from my Dr and (2) realize if I blogged – I'd have to tell my Mom about it. I don't usually keep things from her but she's still having such a hard time after losing my brother and struggles with that daily that I didn't want to worry her at all…

But…it looks like things will be ok for us both and for that, I'm thankful!

debi9kids April 11, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Amen Barb! So glad we're both ok.
I had wondered what you were going through, and I'm so thankful you seem to be just fine.

Mimi April 11, 2012 at 7:51 pm

So very thankful for a clean bill of health! The Lord can make a miracle each day!

Stacy Uncorked April 12, 2012 at 3:41 am

I'm SO glad it turned out not to be cancer! That shot is amazing – and the perfect sign from God it's going to be OK. 😉 ((HUGZ!!))

Krystyn April 13, 2012 at 7:30 am

Amen! What a blessing. So happy to hear the good news.