Hey girl! It’s true. Clothing is optional.

by debi9kids on May 3, 2012

Will doesn’t like clothes.
The moment I get him dressed in the morning it becomes Will’s mission to remove those clothes as quickly as he possibly can (which can be incredibly frustrating for me on days when we are pressed for time and waiting for his bus to arrive).
Lately, he not only has been quick to remove his shirt and pants (and shoes and socks, of course!) but the second, and I mean second, he wets his pull-up he must remove that as well.
So, I got it in my head that this must mean that he is finally aware of the sensation of peeing and that maybe, just maybe, he is ready to (sort-of) start potty training.
So, I went out, bought training underwear and the moment Will comes home from school, I have allowed him to remove his shirt and pants and I remove his pull-up and put on the underwear and we’ve waited to see what would happen…
And much like the pull-ups, as soon as he is wet, he removes the underwear and wants to be clean.

So, of course, I’ve tried sitting him on the potty, but he’s not quite there yet.

But, I’ve been keeping up with the underwear.
Just in case.
And yesterday, I made a discovery.
A few times I hadn’t been in the room when he had clearly peed & had removed his underwear and instead I had walked into the room to find a stark-naked child sitting in the center ofย  the room.
Underwear no where to be found!
I looked everywhere, or so I thought.

Yesterday, I was in the kitchen.
Will was in the living room spinning in his chair.
Until he wasn’t.
I went into the room and called his name and his head popped up from behind the couch and suddenly, it hit me.
I knew where the missing underwear had gone!We have a vent behind the couch that leads to a coal stove in the basement that we don’t use. Unfortunately, the grates are not screwed down and Will has figured that out.
And it’s become his hiding spot.
I not only found two pairs of missing underwear down the vent, but also discovered a few handfuls worth of goldfish crackers and a few of Emma’s barrettes.

Good thing we don’t fire that sucker up, huh?!?
I refuse to give up on putting underwear on my sometimes-way-too-clever boy, but I did move the couch back about 2 feet and it now resides on top of the vent.

Checkmate, my son.

PS And just to reassure you, that is not poop on the underwear. That is soot from the coal vent.

And now, for Mister Gosling…

Check out other Hey Girl posters at Extreme Parenthood.

Jenny May 3, 2012 at 8:35 pm

LOL! That's some good hiding.

Max strips sometimes but he has never hidden his clothes, anywhere than under his bed.

I like your Ryan's idea, btw! ๐Ÿ˜‰

debi9kids May 3, 2012 at 8:42 pm

the hiding is super new here (clothing wise). Will hides his toys ALL the time and is clever enough to remember where later when he wants to play again. (unfortunately, he can't tell me when I ask. argh!)

Sunday Stilwell May 4, 2012 at 2:46 am

I have to say I am really impressed by Will's problem solving skills in using that vent as a hiding spot. +1 to Will!

Also, the picture you used is from an independent movie Ryan Gosling made a couple years back. I saw it on Netflix and watched it and I have to say it was one WEIRD movie but it was very good!

debi9kids May 4, 2012 at 3:05 am

Interesting. (I've only actually seen one movie with him. Crazy, Stupid Love… Not exactly the movie someone who's been cheated on wants to see.)

Yes. Will certainly has some amazing problem solving skills. Just wish he'd use them more productively (for me).

Cat@jugglingact May 4, 2012 at 3:45 am

Just persist my friend

Elle May 4, 2012 at 4:10 am

hehe we have a nudist here, too! I have a hard time not laughing when I'm trying to tell him to keep his diaper on and he's dancing around in his birthday suit. I love that hiding place, very creative!!

And I wish I could comment on your Ryan, but 90% of it would be bleeped out to protect the younger audience. ;D

Flannery May 4, 2012 at 5:49 am

I love your kid!!! That is all.

Sanstrousers May 4, 2012 at 6:22 am

Best. Hiding. Spot. EVA!!!

Lisa ~ AutismWonderl May 4, 2012 at 6:30 am

LOL – Okay, I am glad that it's clothing optional applies elsewhere.

Last night we had the same thing – I am hoping to find that missing pair of undies :/

But if Ryan wants to run around pants off – I'm okay with that too.

debi9kids May 4, 2012 at 7:23 am

Who wouldn't want that? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Jenny May 4, 2012 at 6:42 am

Now that I think about Max has hidden his socks, but only his socks. Every so often I find a new stash of socks hidden in a corner somewhere.

Max will sit around the house with no socks and no pants, but wearing a shirt, a hat and mittens. I need to start taking pictures. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Patty May 4, 2012 at 6:50 am

Your kid is a genius! My toddler has insisted on wearing his swim trunks for the last three weeks every single day. Getting him to put on a shirt and sandals is next to impossible. Sigh.

margaret May 4, 2012 at 8:46 am

That is the funniest damn story! Someone really doesn't want to potty train just yet! It will happen. My kid used to hide wet bathing suits to avoid us putting him back in the pool. that was fun (but not nearly as awesomely creative as this).

p.s. Ryan is right, wearing clothing is totally overrated.

Lizbeth May 4, 2012 at 11:13 am

I didn't think that was poop in the diaper till you said something…..and can you have Ryan run over this way? He looks purty!

Dawn Wright May 4, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Oh dear….. Oh missing underwear that sounds sooo very familiar. Oh wait that is because our Elizabeth "lost" 23 pairs of underwear (some was her sister's some were older underwear I thought we threw out)…….UGH!!!! Oh and the best part is…..they WERE POOPY!!! She went through a Loooonnnnggg stage of not wanting us to wipe her, but not wiping herself either :(. That was not fun!

Maria D. May 6, 2012 at 5:07 am

LOL! Up until 5 minutes ago, my younger son, Q was sitting at the table stark naked playing the computer! I made him put on some underwear at least because I know putting on actual clothes wouldn't fly. ๐Ÿ™‚ Good luck with the potty training!