a huge reason it meant so much.

by debi9kids on May 10, 2012

It would be easy for me to say that hearing Will say Emma’s name and finally seeing him play with her meant the world to me.
It did.
But, it honestly meant SO much to me for a totally different reason.As sad as I sometimes get that I have “untwin” twins, it is harder on her than I can ever possibly imagine or understand.
Emma knows they are twins.
She knows they were in my belly together and knows that they were born the same day.
She’s met lots and lots of other sets of twins and she knows that she and Will are…special,
different.

Emma is a cheerful little girl.And smart as a whip
and she knows that Will has autism
and sometimes that just really stinks.
Because how many 5 year olds normally know about autism?
How many of them understand that autism is the reason that Will isn’t like Emma?

And she’s amazing,
because she gets it.
Truly gets it.She’s ok with Will having special needs (foods, toys, clothes, bed, etc),
with him demanding more of my time,
with his inability to talk to her,
play with her…
99% of the time.

And that is a huge, huge blessing because she could be selfish,
and spoiled,
and impatient
and instead, God created this amazing little girl,
the perfect twin sister for Will.

And when he said her name,
her face lit up.
“Mommy. Will said, ‘Emma.'”
And that look on her face,
that light in her eyes,
was absolutely priceless.
Because while I have been waiting a long time for it,
she has been waiting her entire lifetime.

Talk about something to be thankful for!
God’s amazing blessings!

Many, O LORD my God, are the wonders which You have done, And Your thoughts toward us; There is none to compare with You. If I would declare and speak of them, They would be too numerous to count. ~ Psalm 40:5

Playing along with Woman Taking a Stand for Thankful Thursday

Holly May 10, 2012 at 1:18 am

Beautifully written, Emma is indeed special.

Tracey May 10, 2012 at 2:35 am

Wow, thanks for putting that into perspective. I thought it was really cool when you mentioned it, but I wasn't looking at it through Emma's eyes. Thank you for sharing that Debi.

Sherri May 10, 2012 at 4:44 am

I got excited for you! Our son, age 5, said his sister's name for the first time about two weeks ago! It was one of those moments you live for when you have a child that has so much locked inside him and you are just waiting for it to flow out. Our older children are always thrilled when he says something new, or says anything at all! Autism is a game changer….but it doesnt have to mean game over! Stay strong!

Cheryl May 10, 2012 at 4:57 am

Yet again, you have moved me to tears. So beautiful. Your daughter. Will. You. <3

Beth Zimmerman May 10, 2012 at 5:08 am

This is so precious! I remember being at the Pediatric Optometry Shop one time when a family came in with a set of twins. Two beautiful, precious little girls. One obviously "normal." The other with Downs Syndrome. And it struck me that in many ways that would be so much harder than to have the *differently abled* child alone. Because there would always be that line to which you, as parents, are tempted to compare! Here I was taking unreasonable pride that my child was off the charts for height and weight. They probably noted every milestone as one child met it and the other … lagged behind!

I believe that every life is precious and created with a special purpose! But I know that there are some heart-breaking moments in parenting a special needs child! Shoot … there are heart-breaking moments with every child but you know what I mean!

I love that you saw this moment from Emma's perspective! And that she loves her brother … just the way he is!

Dawn Wright May 10, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Umm…crying….happy tears!!!!! HOW AMAZING!!!! GO WILL!!!!!! awww….this totally made my day!

Jen May 11, 2012 at 8:26 am

Through your words, I can feel how much this moment meant to you all.

Beautiful.

Lisa May 11, 2012 at 8:38 am

Me too…tears…

Beautiful post for a beautiful, lovely little girl

Barbara Manatee May 11, 2012 at 6:29 pm

She is such an Angel! She reminds me of how J&S are with Adam – how they celebrate his new accomplishments but I know this is on such a different level! So glad she heard it with her own ears!

Kath May 15, 2012 at 4:25 am

Awesome!! She is a s adorable as she is sweet!!