hey girl! you look like you could use a little alone time.

by debi9kids on May 18, 2012

The past 40 hours or so might have been the WORST couple of  I have had in a long, long time.
It started with Will deciding that he didn’t enjoy sleeping in his crib tent that we JUST bought last month so he ripped it apart, escaped and joined us in the living room with a big, silly smile on his face.
And while that might sound funny, it isn’t.
Not when I don’t have any other way to keep him safe and secure at night.

HOURS after we finally got him to fall asleep (as in 3 am), Russ and I sat on the couch trying to figure out what the heck we could do… build him another bed, buy another crib tent (Lord, NO!), or invest in a specially made item specifically for autistic kids like this, or this, or this

Needless to say, it was a bad night of little sleep, followed by a busy day of  talking to Will’s teachers and therapists  for suggestions and then running around trying to get things accomplished to ensure we would have no more nights OR days filled with so much stress and tension and worry that my buddy would get out of bed while I was sleeping and get out of the house. (God forbid!)

As a last minute solution for Will until we can figure out what the heck to do that will keep him safe, Russ and I went to Cabelas and bought a single person tent and we popped that bad boy up in the place where his crib used to be and thankfully… it worked and he went to bed like a good boy (after a dose of Melatonin)  🙂And, while Russ was very helpful today, it is Ryan who knew exactly what I needed at the end of the day 🙂

Check out other Hey Girl posters at Extreme Parenthood.

Carissa May 17, 2012 at 11:02 pm

You two are amazing parents, just so you know 🙂

Cat@jugglingact May 18, 2012 at 1:08 am

Oh gosh, that's tough. I do think he is going tomenjoy that tent.

Jacqui May 18, 2012 at 5:14 am

Hey Girl, Ryan really is THAT understanding. He rocks! And now I'm thinking about sharing a tent with Ryan…..

sorry you've a a rough night. Thank god for melatonin xx

Jim W. May 18, 2012 at 5:14 am

that bed looks SO COZY!

Cheryl May 18, 2012 at 7:00 am

I have to say that melatonin has saved our life! Have a great weekend!

Christine@TheCupcake May 18, 2012 at 7:28 am

Oh my. I'm so sorry you've had a frustrating (and sleepless) time. I've been there for sure. (((HUGS)))

I'm glad you found something that works though.

bcIMthemommy May 18, 2012 at 9:20 am

We did the crib tent thing for awhile and we put a lock on the outside her door too. We've been fortunate that she's outgrown the need to "flee". But one of the best things we did is get an alarm system installed. We arm it at night and if a door is opened–you'll know it. But if you don't want to deal with the expense, you can go to your local hardware store and get similar equipment–you can intall the gadget that hooks to your door and the box that lets you know a door is open. You just don't have a company monitoring the equipment.

april mcloughlin May 19, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Ryan totally gets it! The tent looks like fun, actually.

Michal July 5, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Hi Debi,

I've been reading for a long time and was heartbroken when you went private! I'm so glad to see you back :). I am currently a Secondary Ed. English major, and eventually I will be going for my Masters and Ph.D. in Special Ed. I'm looking for programs that are specifically centered around Autism, as well. All that to say, I SO enjoy reading your posts and "hearing" the real struggles, and blessings, that you have with Will and his Autism. Thank you for being a source of hands-on information into the world of Autistic children; I learn a lot just from reading your posts!

Also, I am the oldest in a family of 7 (all biological! and homeschooled!) so I really enjoy reading your life in general. Makes me miss living at home in all the organized chaos. Almost. 🙂

Blessings to you and your family. May the Lord continue providing for you and showing you His love and power in new and exciting ways, each and every day!

~Michal