Update on my Brother-in-Law Lance

by debi9kids on November 14, 2012

In August, I wrote about my brother-in-law Lance.
I asked you all for prayers and I have updated and continue to seek prayers for him on my Facebook page.
It has been an incredibly LONG and difficult 3 months for Lance and my sister Erin and will likely continue to be a very long road to recovery.
Lance was in the hospital for the first two months off and on, fighting infection after infection,
and has finally been stable enough to remain in rehab and is starting to make incredible progress.

When he first had his aneurysm he nearly died.
A few times.
He was on many machines to keep him alive and the outlook was very grim.
But, as time has ticked away,
Lance has amazed all of us with his drive and dedication.
He just wants to get better and go home.

It’s his prayer and it’s our prayer for him.

During the time he’s been in the hospital,
he has missed the birth of his new niece,
his son Ryder
‘s first birthday,
and recently, Ryder’s first steps.
We’re all hopeful he can be home for Christmas and the new year.

But it will only happen if their home can be prepared for his arrival.
They will need to widen doors, add ramps, make at least one bathroom handicap accessible
and without donations it can’t be done.

My sister is a hair stylist.
Lance was the main breadwinner
and they didn’t plan for something like this happening.
Who does?
They are in their thirties and so unprepared for life being turned upside-down.
And now they are trying to face it head on and changing every plan they ever made for their future
and just feeling so very fortunate that they have any future at all.
(Funny how nearly dying will do that to you.)

Please watch this video my sister Beth, Erin’s twin, made.
Take a moment and realize how very fortunate you are,
hug the ones you love,
and if you can
please help.

Many blessings to you and yours.

Please send prayers for the Summerson family
and if you are able donate

Laurel November 14, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Have you read the blog: Ben & Katie: Our Hope Endures http://katieandbenupdates.blogspot.com ? They are a young couple who has spent the past 3 years dealing with the affects of brain trauma due to a car accident. It might be really helpful and encouraging for your sister (and the rest of the extended family).

I hope he will be able to be "Home for the Holidays".

Laurel :)

mama of 12

debi9kids November 15, 2012 at 6:30 am

I've never heard of it before.

Thank you Laurel. I'll take a look.

Cindy November 14, 2012 at 5:29 pm

I love how he said that he will make dinner for everyone at the end. What a truley inspirational story! Still praying!!!

carla November 14, 2012 at 7:38 pm

i thought republicans didn't ask for handouts

debi9kids November 15, 2012 at 1:51 am

Wow. Well Carla, we don't. From the government. We ask for help from FRIENDS and LOVED ONES.

Deb@ Simple Plate November 15, 2012 at 2:52 am

Carla, I don't see anyone here asking for a 'handout'. Your comment is crude and callous. An apology is in order here. This had nothing to do with politics. This was debi's plea to her reading community for prayer and support for her brother in law and sister and their family! Perhaps you need to step away from the koolaid for a while.

debi9kids November 15, 2012 at 3:00 am

Thank you Deb.
You know, my sister and her husband are both very proud and hardworking people, and its the hardest thing for them to need help from anyone and its so hurtful to have anyone label it as "begging".
My BIL will be disabled for the rest of his life. Knocked down at 37. And they are trying to get him back up and this.just.shocked me.

The hatred in this country is heartbreaking.

trisha November 15, 2012 at 3:43 am

They don't ask the government to do what their community and family should do…which is what THIS woman IS doing for hers.

Shame on you for using this heartache and tragedy for politics.

Trisha

debi9kids November 15, 2012 at 3:54 am

Diana November 15, 2012 at 6:48 am

Wow, Carla, this is the way giving should be done. This woman is trying to support her family by seeking help from other family and friends… not asking the government for a handout. Politics is clouding our collective judgment. I agree with Debi: "The hatred in this country is heartbreaking."

Audrey at Barking Ma November 15, 2012 at 7:59 am

Carla,

I thought Democrats were so compassionate and caring? Wow, way to completely blow that stereotype apart! But thanks for that, I think it's a long-held illusion that NEEDED to be shattered.

Sweetie, most "Republicans" (way to generalize, too!) I know would rather cut off their own leg than ask the gov't for anything. We look first at ourselves to see how we can better our own situations, and then, if we need something, we look to one another . . . not so much for handouts, but sometimes for ideas that perhaps we hadn't thought of, that might help, and then yes, we do occasionally ask for help, from our friends and family. We don't place the burden on our gov't which then places it on everyone else. Big difference there, a difference you're either blind to, or intentionally unwilling to see.

Oh by the way, Carla . . . nice way to politicize a post that had nothing to do with politics or either party in the first place, and make it a battering ram for your own personal political views and a means to slam Republicans.

Kevin Cullis November 15, 2012 at 8:44 am

Wow Carla, such cruel comments. The difference between conservatives and liberals is conservatives are connected to those they help, i.e. family and friends, not a government bureaucrat who may or may not care about: 1) the person needing help or 2) the use or misuse of government funds (fraud, waste, and abuse). We want people to stand on their own two feet, to be able to maximize their full potential, and to provide help as needed, not allowing others to be dependent (won't work vs. can't work) on the government for help. And that includes government policies that restrict the opportunity to make a good life for yourself.

A gentleman I know, Jon, has been a quadriplegic since birth. His healthcare bills, paid for by our government, amounts to about $107,000 a year. ANY income over $700 has to be paid back to the government, so while he was "alive," he could not work enough to get out of his situation. THAT is the problem with government policies, it keeps people stuck in their situation without much of a chance to make their lives better. That is what conservatives are fighting for. Being alive is so much less than truly living, we want everyone to be truly living.

No one does things alone or by themselves, it's a fact that we all need help at some point in our lives. But as conservatives we want everyone to have a fulfilling life, and there is nothing better then helping others during their time of hardship.

"Just so the wealth of the country, its capital, its credit, must be saved from the predatory poor as well as the predatory rich, but above all from the predatory politician." James J. Hill, Owner of the Great Northern Railroad

Rick November 15, 2012 at 3:55 pm

I didn't know that liberals could read.

marion November 15, 2012 at 2:28 am

Jezzz, my appologies if your are one of Debi's friends, Carla, but I think that was a very mean comment.

Debi, again, how I wish I'd live closer…

xoxoxo

debi9kids November 15, 2012 at 2:49 am

No Marion. Not a friend.
The whole not understanding the concept of charity should've been your give-away :)

Thank you, my dear friend. I too wish we could meet.

Deb@ Simple Plate November 15, 2012 at 2:52 am

What a beautiful video! This is for sure one special family!

Dr. Daisy Sutherland November 15, 2012 at 7:03 am

Praying for you and your family…Family and friends should always stick together during the good times and especially during the rough times. Its not a matter of politics but a matter of humanity and love. Shame on 'Carla' who decided to show her ignorance on this post…its a shame that people have to be so cruel…sending you virtual hugs Debi :)

Rajean November 15, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Debi, I hope your family is turned right-side up again very soon. Speaking of right, Carla, your comment was far from right, in fact, I feel it is very, very wrong. People come before any political affiliation. I hope you'll pause, and think, before you reply.