by debi9kids on December 28, 2012

Somehow, when I was a little girl, I thought that turning 40 would feel different,
waaaaaaay older.
for blogAnd frankly, last year when I actually did turn 40 I was feeling a bit
off (ish).
(I wasn’t really sad to turn 40, but turning 40 years old, for most people, it’s the halfway mark between life and death
and that can feel
scary
if you let it.)

Mind you, I didn’t
and don’t
feel old.
As a matter of fact, I’m pretty sure I felt way older when I was just barely 30 and had 6 young children in my home and I was just exhausted every day.
Happy exhausted, but exhausted none-the-less.

Now, at 41 I feel twenty-six.
(I’m not silly or naive enough to say I feel younger than that because honestly, I would have to be both silly and naive for that to be so 😉  )

Life is just
rich
and full
and promising.

At 30, I had faith
but I didn’t have faith.
I had God
but I didn’t have God.
I had riches
but I wasn’t rich.

Now, at 41,
I am smart enough to measure life’s treasures not by what is in the bank
but instead by what is in my home,
my heart,
my life.
And I am rich
beyond measure.

And 41 doesn’t feel as bleak as what I thought it would feel like.
Instead,
41 feels pretty damn good.

Tracey December 28, 2012 at 1:04 pm

🙂 I think we get wiser as we get older Debi, I wish I knew at 25 what I know now at 52. Happy Birthday again. Yes, I think you are a very wealthy woman. Hugs

debi9kids December 28, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Amen. I have definitely gotten wiser as I have gotten older. That is for darn sure.

Penny December 28, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Happy Birthday, Debi! My 48th is just a few months away. Hitting 40 didn't bother me, but it did sound like I was talking about someone else when I stated my age. ha Fifty is lurking not far ahead, so I'm looking at the downward slope. No one in my family has made it past 90, 89 was the oldest, so I'm already past "middle age." lol

My husband's grandmother will be 99 in May and just went in the nursing home this past spring, so he's possibly looking at a long life. heehee

debi9kids December 28, 2012 at 2:37 pm

similar here. My nana just passed away this summer at just under her 94th birthday.
Long life ahead, I pray.

Laurel December 28, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Great post! Glad you are feeling so good . . .and so filled with hope this year. 🙂

I am a month away from 51 . . . which is just past middle age for me. 🙂 Great-Grandpa lived to 96. Great-Uncle just passed away at 103. Grandpa on one side lived to 92. Grandma on other side lived to 93. And, my dad is still a "very young" and healthy 94. I, too, am feeling younger this year, as I've just lost 50 pounds in 5 months. I have another 50 to go, but am looking forward to a very young feeling 51. (Also . . . my young kids definitely keep me feeling young. I am so not ready for the "empty nest" stage, which thankfully is another 10 years away for me.)

Hope your birthday was/is BLESSED!

Hugs to you. Your blog always brings me hope . . . even on some of my darkest days.

Laurel

mama of 12

Mimi December 29, 2012 at 6:45 am

I was the same as you. Turning 40 I felt "off", but not a big deal. Now, turning 30 was hard for me. So much was going on in life. I'm glad you're in such a good place, especially with your faith!