my poor heartbroken daughter

by debi9kids on January 9, 2013

whosays8isenough.org heartbroken EmmaFor the first time ever, Emma has a best friend that she made on her own and not a daughter or son of one of my friends.
Her friend’s name is Ava and they are in the same class in school and Emma just genuinely loves Ava.
Almost from the first day of school Ava was the little girl that Emma gravitated towards. She is small and blonde, shy when she wants to be, silly, playful and smart and so very much like Emma and they have gotten along like peas and carrots from the beginning.
And she’s moving,
far away,
to Texas.
Ava’s daddy is in the Air Force and they are being transferred and Emma is heartbroken.
She is beside herself and has cried every morning as she gets dressed for school because she knows there are only a few days left until Ava leaves.
Although I have told Emma that I will help her write letters, thanks to our cross country trip, Emma knows all too well how very far Texas is from Pennsylvania and she knows she likely won’t ever see Ava again.
And what’s terrible is, there is nothing I can do to make it better,
there is nothing I can say.
I just have to let the heartbreak happen and just hug her when they say “goodbye” for the last time.
And while it’s all just part of the process of life, it just really truly stinks.

Dawn Wright January 9, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Awww…… :( not fun…..

Sharalyn January 9, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Ok–Debi, I'm going to tag you in a photo on my FB page. My very first best friend (who also lived next door!) moved when I was 6 to Indiana (from WA state). We have corresponded off and on over the years, but lost track of each other shortly after college.

Two years ago, I found her on FB. This last summer she and a friend came out, and we saw each other for the first time in 31 years. I'm not joking, it was like we had never been apart.

Let Emma see the photos and please tell her that it's hard, it hurts, but it doesn't have to be the end of the story. :-)

debi9kids January 9, 2013 at 3:40 pm

How awesome Sharalyn.
Thanks!

Sharalyn January 9, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Posted and tagged you in it!

lesa January 9, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Many hugs to Emma!!! I feel so bad for her!

Beth Zimmerman January 9, 2013 at 5:59 pm

That's so hard! I was always the one that moved, not the one left behind, but … Give sweet Emma extra hugs from us!

Penny January 9, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Awwww! Been through that with my youngest when she was in second grade. She had selective mutism and had just started talking to a few friends. Within a few months, her best.friend.moved.over .three.hours.away. Shelbi cried herself to sleep for weeks. "I miss Adrienne." Heartbreaking! Hate that Emma has to go through it, too. But you're right. It's part of life. :(

Heather~sheaaa6 January 10, 2013 at 1:49 am